When amended on April 11, 2013 at the Annual Members Meeting by the majority of voters present, the Covenant had to be reregistered at the County Clerk’s office.  When this procedure was preformed, a new deed book and page numbers were assigned to the document.

The new deed book is 10052 and pages 0920 thru 0932.


There are set rules regarding parking in the city and county. These rules have a purpose to help maintain the standards and appearance of the neighborhoods so as property values are not harmed and to avoid hazards that could occur. The following information could be helpful to avoid being an offender or reported by persons who want the rules to be adhered.  To park in the lawns also violates our Covenant regarding the maintenance of one’s yard; it cannot be maintained to standards when the lawn has tire ruts and mud where grass should be growing.
PLEASE SEE SECTION H, 1 AND 2 Kentucky Government Property Maintenance
A. Sanitation. All exterior property and premises shall be maintained in a clean, safe and sanitary condition. The occupant shall keep that part of the exterior property, which such occupant occupies, or controls in a clean and sanitary condition.
B. Grading and drainage. All premises shall be graded and maintained to prevent the erosion of soil and to prevent the accumulation of stagnant water thereon, or within any structure located thereon. Water retention areas and/or reservoirs approved by the Metropolitan Sewer District are exempted.
C. Sidewalks, driveways and yards. All sidewalks, walkways, stairs, driveways, parking spaces and similar areas shall be kept in a proper state of repair, and maintained free from hazardous conditions. On residentially used lots the use of crushed stone as a hard-durable surface is permitted on lots of less that five acres the standards as promulgated by regulation by the Code Official for installation and maintenance are continually satisfied in the required front and side yards and right-of-ways.
D. Weeds. All premises shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of ten inches. All noxious weeds shall be prohibited. Weeds shall be defined as all grasses, annual plants and vegetation other than trees or shrubs provided, however, this term shall not include cultivated flowers and gardens. Any plant growth exceeding ten inches in height on land of more than three acres that abuts another parcel which contains a dwelling or commercial building thereon other than crops, trees, bushes, flowers or other ornamental plants, shall be at least 50 feet from the property line or 200 feet from an occupied structure, whichever is less.
E. Rodent harborage. All structures and exterior property shall be kept free from rodent harborage and infestation. Where rodents are found, they shall be promptly exterminated by approved processes, which will not be injurious to human health. After extermination, proper precautions shall be taken to eliminate rodent harborage and prevent reinfestation. Information to alleviate and prevent the infestation of insects, mosquitoes, flies, rats and other vermin may be obtained from the Louisville Metro Public Health and Wellness Department.
F. Exhaust vents. Pipes, ducts, conductors, fans or blowers shall not discharge gases, steam, vapor, hot air, grease, smoke, odors or other gaseous or particulate wastes directly upon abutting or adjacent public or private property or that of another tenant.
G. Accessory structures. All accessory structures, including detached garages, fences and walls, shall be maintained structurally sound and in good repair.
1. Gates. Gates which are required to be self-closing and self-latching in accordance with the International Building Code shall be maintained such that the gate will positively close and latch when released from a still position of six inches (152 mm) from the gatepost.
2. Swimming pools. Swimming pools shall be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition, and in good repair.
3. Fences. All fences contained on any premises shall satisfy the height and location requirements as set forth in the Land Development Code.
H. Motor vehicles. Except as provided for in other regulations, no inoperative or unlicensed motor vehicle shall be parked, kept or stored on any premises, and no vehicle shall at any time be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair, or in the process of being stripped or dismantled. Painting of vehicles is prohibited on residentially zoned or used property. A vehicle of any type is permitted to undergo major overhaul, including body work, provided that such work is performed inside a structure or similarly enclosed area designed and approved for such purposes. All motor vehicles on any premises, other than agricultural land must be parked on a hard and durable surface, such as asphalt, brick or concrete or any surface permitted pursuant to§156.052 (C). In addition, motor vehicles may only be parked on those portions of the premises, which the Land Development Code allows as permissible parking areas. For purposes of this section, motor vehicles and agricultural land are as defined in the Land Development Code
1. Additional remedy. In addition to the penalties provided in §156.999, the Code Official may issue written notice and order to the registered owner of the motor vehicle parked or stored in violation of this section or to the owner or person in possession of private property upon which the motor vehicle is illegally parked or stored, requiring that the motor vehicle be removed from the county, stored inside a fully-enclosed structure or similarly-enclosed area designed and approved for such purposes, or that the violation be otherwise removed and abated within seven days. This notice may be served on the appropriate party either personally, by first-class certified or registered mail or by affixing said notice to the motor vehicle parked or stored in violation of this section.
2. Removal by Metro Government. In the event that any person fails to comply with an order issued pursuant to this section, the Code Official may have the vehicle parked or stored in violation of this section, removed and disposed of and may impose on the person violating the order a reasonable charge to cover the direct and indirect costs, if any, for the removal and disposition of the motor vehicle or major parts thereof.

Please protect your animals and read the following Animal Ordinance FAQ

Restraint Specific
Is there a leash law?
How does it apply to puppies, dogs, cats and kittens?
If you are in your own yard with your puppy or dog the animals should either be confined in a secure enclosure or accompanied by the owner and under his/her direct control. Cats and kittens may only roam freely on the property of their owner.
If you are off premise with an altered dog (where permission has not been granted) the dog must be restrained by a leash or lead and under the control of a person who is physically able to control the dog.
Unaltered dogs are required to be kept on a leash and under the control of their owner in the same fashion as an altered dog. MAS does not recommend extendible leashes for unaltered dogs.
Dangerous & Potentially Dangerous dogs are also required to be kept on leash that is no longer than four feet and muzzled.
Can I keep my dog in my yard on a chain?
No, not as a means of restraint. A dog may not be exclusively restrained to a fixed point chain between the hours of 8 am and 6 pm or for more than an hour at a time in any eight hour period.
Can I use an invisible fence to restrain my dog?
Yes, however, if your dog is found twice in a calendar year outside of the invisible enclosure, the owner will be issued a violation notice. If the dog is found a third time outside of the invisible enclosure, this type of confinement will no longer be acceptable for this dog.
If you pick-up my animal, what will it cost to get it back?
The cost varies. In order to receive an estimate of redemption fees, you must come to the shelter, at 3705 Manslick Road, to identify your animal. At that time, you will be given the cost of redemption for your animal. We recommend you bring your pet’s most recent vaccination records from your veterinarian at the time of identification.
Any unaltered dog which is not licensed or permitted as required in the ordinance, and which is impounded for any reason after the effective date of this ordinance shall not be reclaimed by an owner unless the dog is spayed or neutered by or at the direction of MAS.
How much are the fines if my dog, cat or I am caught violating the ordinance and I receive a violation notice?
The fines increase per offense:
1st – $30
2nd – $60
3rd – $120
4th – $250
Number & Type of Animals Allowed
How many dogs can I own?
If your animals are kept inside your home there is no limit as long as you can properly care for them.
If you have dogs that reside outside in your yard and you live in a residential area on less than half an acre you cannot have more than three(3) outdoor dogs. If you live on more than a half an acre but less than two acres, you are not allowed to have more than seven outdoor dogs.
Is there breed specific language in the ordinance?
No, none.
Is it legal to own a Pit Bull?
What other types of animals have restrictions?
All livestock weighing more that 40 pounds, except horses, stallions, colts, geldings, mares, fillies, ponies, miniature horses, mules, jacks, jennies, goats, kids and sheep must be kept in a fenced tract or lot that is at least a half an acre or more.
Horses, stallions, colts, geldings, mares, fillies, ponies, miniature horses, mules, jacks and jennies must be kept in a fenced tract or lot that is at one acre or more.
All crowing and non-crowing poultry must be kept on tracts or lots of at least half an acre or more. You can have one crowing and five non-crowing birds on less than half an acre.
Is there a pooper scooper law?
Yes, it is the responsibility of all pet owners to carry something at all times in order to clean-up after their pet and to dispose of it in a sanitary manner.
What can be done about barking dogs?
There are three options: If the complainant(s) wants an investigation and agrees to give a statement(s) and their name(s) we will send an officer to conduct a full investigation in to the barking complaint. If the complainant doesn’t want to “get involved’ then we will respond based on history and license. If there haven’t been any prior complaints and the dog is licensed, then we will send a letter letting the owner know there has been a complaint along with educational information regarding solutions for the barking problem. If there is a history of complaints and the animal is not licensed, we will send an officer to the address to check for shots and license and to educate the owner.
You can make a service request to address the issue of a barking dog or dogs. We will send an officer out to talk to the owner and educate about the ordinance. If this doesn’t work we can investigate the situation further and proceed based on the evidence. Our officers are now able to take a sworn written statement from the complainant who has witnessed a violation and the circumstances of the violation and it will be filed with District Court.
How long does Metro Animal Services hold strays?
We hold all strays for a minimum of five days. The first includes the day the animals arrived the shelter. We recommend that people visit the shelter every two or three days to look for your dog or cat. We cannot identify animals over the phone because descriptions vary and the margin for error is far too great. If an animal is wearing a license and/or rabies tag, every effort will be made to contact the person associated with these tags. These animals are typically held longer as well. Also animals wearing their tags receive half-off of redemption fees.
Does Metro Animal Services adopt animals?
We sure do. We have the largest selection of potentially adoptable animals in one location. Once an animal is placed up for adoption it stays there until it finds a home or placement group to care for it, unless extreme circumstances compromise the adoptability of the animal.